RE: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous? (was Fiero classing)

To: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>, <Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com>,
Subject: RE: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous? (was Fiero classing)
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:04:52 -0700
> They want a class that they can play in that is fair and equitable to
> all. Everybody, each and every competitor wants that!! Just so they
> have a chance, even if they do not have the "car of the month" (or
> whatever drives the incessant changing of class structure in this
> organization).. They want a classing system that is so stable that they
> can continue to have equality and fun 2 or 3 years down the road,
> entirely until their 6 year note is paid!! They do not especially wish
> to trade cars annually in order to stay "in there".

So what do you do with new cars?  Just say "screw you" to the Viper, to take an
example?

>     Example - I had a 1993 Probe GT. Remember them  :-). I ran this
>     car in GS whenever my "P" car was broke - which was often - or, at
>     certain sites where the "P" car was not any fun to drive. It was a
> winner
>     for a couple years. Then, the 3.8 Camaro V6 came along, and then the
>     turbo DSM's in GS. How competitive was this car in 1998, when my
>     60 month note paid out and it was time to trade? How competitive in
>     GS is the Probe GT now??

> No, I don't advocate 100 classes. I advocate fewer catagories, and fewer
> classes. I advocate a system that uses such criteria as power to weight
> (torque is a factor, as it is also power), wheelbase, tire size, wheel
> track,
> and suspension type (adjustability would be a factor) dictating who runs
> against whom. A simple math formula could do most of that!!

> No brand loyalty here - simple mathematics. A 200hp, 3200lb early Camaro
> will NOT run against a newer 305hp version, instead it may run against a
> 200hp 3.8 V6 version of the newer Camaro.

That's very scientific.  I doubt it's any more fair than what's currently
happening.  You do realize that there will still be dominant cars in each class
with your formula, and they are just as likely to be new cars.  Or BMWs.  What
you've just described is NASCAR, and the formula gets tweaked every week to keep
the various cars competitive.  And those are practically identical formula cars!

> One will not have to run a heavier car with less power against a lighter car
> with more power because of brand name. One would not have to watch a
> car with everything else pretty equal come in with a turbo (the DSM?) to
> the class, etc. One would not have to be made instant underdog by a stroke
> of the pen.

Your last sentence is completely wrong.  Exactly as many people will be instant
underdogs.  Buick Centurys are not going to be competitive with BMWs of the same
specification.  Ain't gonna happen.  Actually, costs will probably go up across
the board, because the newer and more expensive cars are, in the majority of
cases, likely to dominate in a formula such as that.

KeS