Re: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous? (was Fiero classing)

To: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous? (was Fiero classing)
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:43:16 -0700
> No brand loyalty here - simple mathematics. A 200hp, 3200lb early Camaro
> will NOT run against a newer 305hp version, instead it may run against a
> 200hp 3.8 V6 version of the newer Camaro.

Within the field of classing stock autocross cars, it is highly misleading to
use the peak rated HP at the flywheel. Choosing the best gear for the car
at 30-50 mph speeds, the transmission gear ratio times the final drive
ratio times the peak torque within whatever that RPM range turns out to
be is FAR more accurate. Getting dyno graphs from the manufacturers
would be non-trivial, but possibly doable. For the non-stock cars, you'd
need to base this on SAE corrected chassis dyno numbers.

Doing this in a small local region might be viable. I'm not sure how it
could be done for a national-type SCCA event...and I'm an optimist
(pessimists and perhaps even neutral folks would dismiss this idea out of
hand).