Re: 3in1 Machines ???

To: jim@jamesdwilson.com
Subject: Re: 3in1 Machines ???
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:20:46 -0400
> I would agree with you that Enco is not anywhere near the quality of
> Bridgeport. The only reason I even mentioned it was that for a
> weekend
> racer the equipment they sell is more than good enough and in a lot
> of
> cases it will come out cheaper than even a used Bridgeport. Also the

I've seeen used Bridgeports fairly reasonably priced.
However, a used Enco will be much cheaper.
Remember when Bridgeport put their nameplate over an
Enco machine? I do, that machine went back fast.<g>

> bench
> mills that they sell will do lot (although not as much as a
> Bridgeport) and
> they can be put down into a basement with relative ease. Whereas a

Yes for the average user this is the best way to do it
IMO. My Dad is really fond of one particular brand
of bench mill, he sold his other one when he retired
and wants to pick up another one.
He still makes Industrial sewing machine attachments
for Converse etc...
The bench mill can also be used as a drill press.

> Bridgeport is seriously heavy and if the workshop is in the basement
> you
> would be hard pressed to get a real mill down there. If you are
> willing to
> be patient and are educated, for price of what you would pay for a

It'd be a real PITA to get a Bridgeport into a basement that had
a rather small door and a 100+ year old brick foundation.
I won't mention the rather low ceilings either. <G>

The best way to go is with a quality product they do last forever
(relatively speaking) and even if it's a bench mill I feel it's
better to spend a bit more for a high quality product.
I've seen plenty of Enco's shake like jello if you try and Hog
anything out on them. We had an Enco and it was relegated to
all the low tolerance work. But that was for a full blown
machine shop.

Shops go out of business all the time, a real shame...

Steve Bernard
Red '99 Miata (B-Stock)
NER Region (Novice Class)
mailto:Solo-2@juno.com