Re: 3in1 Machines ???

To: jtthomas21@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: 3in1 Machines ???
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:26:41 -0400
The machine you should be looking for would be a
"Clausing" vertical mill. Used they go for about $1,500.
Very well made machine with the same quality as a
Bridgeport. The Clausing weighs about 600 lbs.
very easy to move. About 6.5 feet tall
The table is about 30 inches long and 8 inches wide.
Apparantly my dad moved one in a Rambler many
years ago.
He does suggest that a Bridgeport is better if you have the
room and can handle the extra height and weight.
The word JUNK came up a lot when I mentioned Enco.
Bearings tend to wear out on them quite fast and Enco's
are notoriously inaccurate, and the castings are of poor
quality. A used Bridgeport will run about $1.5-2K.
The Clausing is better if weight and size are issues.
Regarding any 3 in 1 Machines, my Dad was real vocal
on how much of a waste of money they are.
He also mentioned that in the Massachusetts "Want Ad"
he saw a Clausing for $1,200.
I hope this helps a few people out.
Any other Q's and I can ask him.

Steve Bernard