Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:53:22 -0500
Scott Meyers wrote:

> Let's see.........the shocks, sway bar, spacers, exhaust etc.
really
> don't make that much difference. It's mostly the driver.

By George, I think he's got it. Repeat after me, "The gap per lap
is mainly in the sap (behind the wheel)."

> Then why the rash of postings leave the non-stock stuff alone?
And it is
> *non-stock*.

Uhh, that would be because what you're proposing will cost us all
more money and won't help anything or anybody. Other than that,
no particular reason.

> It does make a difference, and a significant difference. If it
did not,
> then why the hoopla?

See above.

> I agree that factory parts only would be cost prohibitive -

Good start. So you _do_ understand one of the philosphical
underpinnings of the present Stock rules.

> there would
> need to be a way to get around that while still maintaining the
> philosophy of "Stock". I see no problem with "performance
upgrades" in
> the sense of 'kinda like stock' but better quality. Like brake
pads,
> mufflers, air cleaners.

See how, already, you deviate from "Pure Stock (TM)?" Your
concept is every bit as "impure" as the one to which you so
righteously object. You just wanna tweak the impurities more to
your liking. Where's the moral high ground in that?

> The allowance of mega-$ shocks is a serious oversight that
should be
> addressed.

No, it's not. If I choose to $pend $2,500.00 on a set of brake
pads or a muffler, you can't stop me. Will it make me faster?
Hell, no. Certainly not in proprotion to that kind of money. Do I
HAVE to spend that kind of money on shocks in Stock to be
competitive? Hell, no again. If I CHOOSE to spend that kind of
money on my autox car, it is a choice and nothing more. You can
choose to do otherwise. And, if you're good, you can beat me
nonetheless.

> No way to police it? Bull.

The "bull" is your statement that one MUST spend big bucks on
aftermarket parts to make a car competitive in Stock. It ain't
so. If that's your perception, then your perception doesn't match
the reality of Solo II.

> The "claiming rule" would address
> that nicely and easily.

Bull. A claiming rule would piss off everybody, and it wouldn't
solve anything.

> It we wish it to be so, there is a way.

"We" don't wish for some Utopian "everybody can win" version of
autox competition. "We" generally recognize that the driver is
the greatest factor. If you get to the point in a Stock class
where shocks are _really_ the difference between winning and
losing, you'll be looking for less than a second on a minute
course. And it won't cost you megabucks to find it.

In a sport where a good driver can get into a novice's car and
turn a time that's many seconds quicker than the car's owner just
turned, forcing the best drivers to compete in _your_ concept of
a "pure stock" vehicle won't help a novice one bit.

> this is an
> opportune time to make a few adjustments back in the direction
of the
> initial "stock" concept.

The initial "stock" concept is alive and well. Rumors of its
death are highly exaggerated.

Jay