Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole

To: solo2@uswest.net
Subject: Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:33:54 -0400
> No I wasn't - but *AM* looking for a way to outlaw $4000 worth of
> shocks on a "Stock" car  :-)  I am open to other alternatives that are
> *factory equivalent* in fact.

Hi Scott, I really don't think you are going to be able to
limit shocks and cost and how do you *prove* how much
the shocks cost? Limit to certain well known brand names?
I know there probably "Stock" cars out there with $4,000
shocks but I've never seen one.

> There will always be cheaters and those who push the rules to the
> limit - make that limit less expensive is all........

Cheating and pushing the rules to the limit are quite different.
Cost is always a factor, How fast do you wanna go....
yada, yada, yada. The guy in a Neon who pays $$$ for something
versus us poor guys in the Miata's who might pay $$$$$ for the same
item, or you could reverse that. Limiting cost is not the answer.
I bet more than a few on this list could machine and revalve
their own shocks on their own time and cost would be less than
new shocks and far better. Limiting by cost won't work IMO.

> The sky doesn't have to fall on me   ;-)    to let me know that no
> matter
> how good I may be that if I intend to prosper in this sport (in
> Stock class,
> i.e. "The Beginning") I will l have to spend  $$$$$$$$$$$ to be
> competitive.
> I am suggesting that we seek a way so that it is only $$$$$.

No you have to spend $$$$$$$$$ on driving schools to get
to be at or near the limit of your "Stock" car.
Yes you can buy a fast car, overdog it by going to the limit of
the stock rules, and get your tail kicked by a far better driver.
Who spent his/her money on driving schools.

> Newbie arrives. Newbie sees a well prepared stock car. Newbie loses
> by a
> lot. Newbie knows the driver is savvy, handsome (or pretty), and
> drives very
> well. Newbie figures that he/she might have a chance if they could
> afford
> the $$$$$, but knows that they can't. Newbie blows us off, goes drag
> racing (or Circle Racing?)  :-)  The end.

No.... Newbie arrives knows virtually nothing about Auto-X except that
it sure looks fun. Adreneline rush off the line, probably WAY
overdrives the car, overcooks a corner spins or nearly so,
whacks a whole bunch of cones. Finishes poorly, gets out of
the car with a big stupid grin on his face and say YES!!!!
IIIIIIIIIII LIKE IT!  :-)

I know, I was there not that long ago, yep they counted the cones
left standing. :)

I also know that Stock is not the place to be if you want to
AX on the cheap. Oh sure Stock sounds cheap but new cars cost
$$$$$$ and new versions come out that are better and in my instance
I'm not going to buy a new Miata just for an extra 14 ponies.
Stock classs is for a certain type of competitor and as far as the
Ca$h is concerned locally I see wild body kits, and all kinds of
"stuff" added onto cars that if anything slows the car down
Cheap? I seriously doubt it. Ugly yes. ;^)
If you want to win at the Nats you prep to the limit of the rules.
Locally it might not be as significant.
Mod or Prepared is a much better place to be since the rules
allow a lot more to be done.
I mean you can buy a competitive F500 for what $7K+
That's used car territory and not a real decent used car.
NHRA people aren't likely to get that high speed rush at auto-x.

So I don't think Solo 2 which has been a growing sport is losing
everyone to circle track (very expensive compared to Solo 2)
or Drag Racing and Drag Racers prep to the most infintesimal
point of the rules far more so than most autocrossers and newbies
are going to get beat there and the first time they blow a power shift
and the Tranny goes bye-bye, Solo 2 will look better anyway.

> Good. But not for everyone. Lets give more folks with limited income
> a chance at ***Stock*** Class.

My Miata stickered for $23,900, a Neon ACR stickered for about
$15K that's a limited income when a Formula Ford costs $13K
with spares and a trailer?!?!
Auto-X is argueably the cheapest motorsport there is. But it's not
free. There is always a cost.

The only thing that isn't stock in my Miata is the oil.
Oh and the Kuhmo's <G>
I have plenty of other Miata drivers with not much difference in
the cars that could easily beat my Novice time by 3 seconds and
even do it in my own car.

Ask anyone in my region if they'd worry about me having $4,000
shocks on my stock car. I doubt they would break much of a sweat
over it. Might be good for a laugh when they beat me by 2 seconds
tho.

I have a dog in this fight but until I'm driving at 90% or better
14 or 40 extra HP isn't going to do Boo.

Of course if the SEB wants to give the 1999 Miata's a softer PAX
I sure won't bitch about it. :^)

Steve Bernard
Red '99 Miata (B-Stock)
NER Region (Novice Class)