Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Classing Picture As A Whole
From: Mari L Clements <mrndr2@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:28:16 -0400
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:01:10 -0700 Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
writes:
> Let's see.........the shocks, sway bar, spacers, exhaust etc. really
> don't make that much difference. It's mostly the driver.
>
> Then why the rash of postings leave the non-stock stuff alone? And
> it is *non-stock*.
>
> It does make a difference, and a significant difference. If it did
> not, then why the hoopla?

Because it's already done.  The cars are set up that way, they are
classed based on those set ups, and it would take a ton of money for all
of us to set them back to pure stock.  The classes would have to be
completely reshuffled *without the benefit of information about how they
run in "pure" stock form.*  (The current reshuffling *is* based on past
results.)

Think about it this way.  Changing the voting age (or drinking age or
driver's license age) from what it is now to 25 years old would cause
tremendous uproar because you would be taking away the ability to do
something from a group of people who previously had (and may well have
exercised) that right.  If the age had *originally* been set at 25,
chances are that the 18-24 year olds (or 21-24 year-olds or 16-24 year
olds) would not have objected, but *take away* those existing rights, and
they will object.

And yes, I think my front sway bar is a help.  On the other hand, if I
drove it as is, pulled off the bar and put on a stock MR2 bar, and let
Kevin Bailey (or Mark Daddio or GH Sharp or Rob Falkner or Nick Leverone
or Sam Strano or Danny Popp or Bob Tunnell or Teresa Neidel or Danielle
Engstrom or Kay Bailey or any other outstanding driver) hop in and drive
it, that person would *still* beat my time.  Modifications from stock are
to make the car perform better, but a good driver trumps the
modifications every day and twice on Sundays.

mlc
'91 MR2 NA
-----anything after this, I didn't write, and don't necessarily agree
with----