Re: Buying a win?? Spend it on school.

To: Hottvr@aol.com, Autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying a win?? Spend it on school.
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 01:47:32 EDT
In a message dated 7/22/00 9:33:03 AM Central Daylight Time, Hottvr writes:

In a message dated 7/22/00 12:00:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time, GSMnow@aol.com
writes:

 << There is no amount of money that will win at the top level in
autocrossing. I
  have been at this long enough to know the drivers does much more than any
  parts.   >>

< Ok, whatever you say!!!  But in my opinion you have it backwards. Its 90%
< car preparation and 10% driver. Good coaching just works to better the 10%

< Mike B. 99cm

I probably should have said no amount of money for an average skilled driver
to beat a top level driver.

Okay, you are in a CMod car, so that does skew it a bit, but take the
absolute best prepped CMod car and put a novice behind the wheel, and then
take an also ran CMod car and put a top driver in it. Who will win??

The case that started this discussion was stock class and buying shocks etc.
A set of custom valved shocks will probably not change a novice drivers time
at all. A top driver who can feel and use a stiffer shock is looking for that
final .4 second or so, and the stiff shocks that jack down and loosen up a
pushing car require a very high skill level to keep going straight on course.
I am just learning to walk that line and have pulled it off at two events
where I took 3rd and 11th overall on index winning my class (ES) both times.
When I stay below the edge, or have the car too tight to get there, I have
been 18th to 22nd in the other events. A driver who can't run at the edge
won't even feel the difference without a lot of practice, and when they get
there they spin out with a loose setup. In the stock classes, car prep is
maybe 20% and the driver is more like 80%. Half of that car prep is having a
good set of tires on too.

Gary M.