Re: Buying a win?? Spend it on school.

To: <narby@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: Buying a win?? Spend it on school.
From: LiloACRguy@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:27:26 EDT
The Narbys <narby@centurytel.net> writes:

This statement is utterly false. The driver IS making ALL the difference here.
Even though the difference in times is only 2.5%, 100% of the variance
(difference between lap times) is accounted for by the driver. It has to be.
The same car is used throughout this hypothetical example. It wouldn't matter
if it was an F1 Ferrari or a Yugo, if the lap times in the same car differ
based on the driver, the driver is accounting for 100% of the difference in lap
times. Period.

Doug

Doug, read it again closely.  I agree with you completely, the DIFFERENCE is
100% attributable to the driver.  The TOTAL time is mostly attributable to the
car.  At the highest levels, increasingly miniscule amounts of prep account for
increasing improvements in placing.

Means almost nothing to us average drivers where a 1% change in time is not
likely to change our placing much if at all, yet a disproportionate amount at
the highest levels.  Great drivers with little cash or time for prep = less
chance of winning Nat's.  Occasionally good drivers so it.  But not often.  I
put forth the driver who made 3rd in the latest Pro in mildly prepared borrowed
car.  He made third AFTER aligning it.  Despite being a proven national level
contender, he made only 3rd and not even with the depths of competition that
one would find at Nat's.

Owen
(who could personally care less, cuase I won't win in any case)