Re: Team.net not being helpful?What?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Team.net not being helpful?What?
From: Paul Cezanne <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:25:18 -0400
>Actually, I am not suggesting we change the rules. I am noting that Adam
>does not fit into the rules as I understand them. I however may not
>understand them correctly. Per Matt Murray's post:

As a former DTN, perhaps I should speak on my interpretation of the "rules."

To quote the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"

"There are no rules."

Team.Net is not some SCCA committee, it is not some corporate-world
task group, it is not an elected representative.  It is hundreds of
people of who like to go vroom vroom and hopefully share a meal and
drinks afterwards and then talk about it when we should be working.

We don't have rules.  We have Guidelines and Suggestions and Proper
Behavior and of course, Improper Behavior.

What we do have is a sense of community, fair play, and friendship
that in Internet years has been going on forever.

So how do we do this DTN thing?  The 3 items often quote are
guidelines, there is no central authority to declare it one way or
the other.  (Your appeal is not well founded and will not be heard.)
If Fred wants to consider Adam eligible, let him.  If Barney wants to
consider him ineligible, let him.  They will vote accordingly.  I
wish that JD could help us out here and set rules if he wanted them.
The first DTN was by acclimation, the next year it was organized, the
year I administered it it was probably too organized.  I wish that I
could help, but I'm busy doing the start-up thing
(http://www.macspeech.com) and trying to promote my wife's new book
(http://www.JeannetteAngell.com).

So what to do?  Someone who knows JD should call him up on the
telephone and ask him who he wants to administer it.  I personally
have NO problem with a nominee administering it.  There is even
precedent, I believe Phil collected his own money the first year.  If
that fails the rule of the Internet takes over, he who shouts loudest
wins.

But basically, somebody has got to declare a vote start date and a
vote end date and volunteer to count them.  The paypal thing is
great, that is fantastic.  Thanks Dave for setting it up.  (That,
BTW, is  an example of the sort of service that the DTN provides to
the Team.Net community.)

Send in your donations!

https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=drivertonationals%40yahoo.com

Oh, who qualifies?  Hard to say.  I personally think that personal
wealth should have nothing to do with it, but I might not vote that
way.
--
pZ -- Paul Cezanne (formerly Czarnecki)

Please consider buying my wife's new book, The Illusionist,
(http://www.JeannetteAngell.com) and then help the UN feed the world
for free @ http://www.TheHungerSite.com