Re: New CEO

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New CEO
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 11:04:51 -0400
<<<Is it just me or is this guy looking really smart and savvy?>>>

Based on what? His wearing a Texas Region SCCA polo shirt which I also
happen to have? In that case, thanks! I think they look cool. They are
available for the great price of $30. I understand they are being sold
at cost, which is something that our new CEO just wouldn't understand...

He is the former head of NHRA marketing. His job was to sell as many
John Force T-shirts as he could. Based on the 2 page article in
SportsCar he now wants to sell SCCA merchandise to us and the masses.
Exactly how many of us are going to want to buy Warren Stillwell or
Roger Johnson T-shirts at more than twice the cost? And based on the
reported $100K fee to the headhunter his salary, which we still haven't
been told the details, must be way up there. I don't think it is
justified, particularly since he has no present responsibilities in the
pro side of the club which is still being handled by Nick the Craw. I
think choosing someone who admittedly knows absolutely nothing about
sports cars or road racing is a huge mistake. We don't need a
professional marketer running the amateur side of the club.

I would have thought that Dennis Dean would have been a natural choice.
He already knows all about cars that can turn, his salary is nowhere
near as astronomical, and he is a proven entity. A current club member
who is retired or semi-retired from running a successful business could
do it much cheaper too.

This shows the BOD is still on some weird power trip to compete head to
head with other professional sports racing organizations instead of
concentrating on amateur stuff which is the reason why most of us
belong. If the pro side made money it would be a different story. But I
am getting sick and tired of paying for their collosal mistakes, like
the USCRRC, the Shelby Can-Am, and driving all the factory teams away
from Trans Am. It's just not fair to use the members to fund these
failures. If they really want to do more of this sort of thing we should
insist they make money from the start instead of raiding the amateur
side's coffers.

IMHO

Paul Foster