Re: Banquet longevity

Subject: Re: Banquet longevity
From: Ray Benoit <spyderay@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 13:30:11 -0400
State sponsored or not, why should someone be forced into a religious activity
in order to participate in a sport?  Anyone who wishes to pray before eating is
certainly free to do so without requiring others to participate (being silent
in order to listen to someone pray aloud is participating).

Since they are not "state sponsored" venues, are you suggesting that we should
have formal prayer in the cafeteria at work and at public restaurants?

And is there any reason for the SCCA to have "lower" standards of religious
freedom than the state?

If you really don't wish to offend, don't force others to observe your
religious preferences.  I'm sure non-Christians would not object to anyone
praying (on their own) before eating.  Why isn't that enough?  Why force it on
those who don't want it?  Making it a formal activity implies that this is the
"right" thing to do, which implies that other beliefs are the "wrong" thing.
Is it so hard to understand that this kind of activity makes a part of the
autocross community feel like they don't belong?  Don't belong because of
perceived and actual (I have private E-mail evidence of this) religious
intolerance?

Please reconsider you position.  Not for me (I've never been to Nationals,
probably never will be there) but for those who already suffer enough for not
being of the "right" faith.

Ray