Re: Engine break-in.

To: whitneys@mindspring.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine break-in.
From: "James A. Crider" <autojim@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 21:50:55 -0400
At 07:06 AM 05/17/2001 -0700, Stan Whitney wrote:
>I'd only add some runs to redline at low loads (1st or
>2nd gear) after fully warm (like 20-30min. running) to
>let the 'whirly bits' run against each other at those
>speeds briefly.
>
>I did that with my '96 miata - drove it home from
>tulsa on the turnpike, but slipped in a few 0-60 runs
>along the way.   That motor always ran strong and
>free.
>
>he back of my mind likes the idea of the engine seeing
>all the speeds and loads that you will use it in
>during the break in, really don't have a choice with
>my current race engine - break in was doing pulls on
>the chassis dyno.

FWIW, I won't argue with this, although I'd suggest doing it toward the
tail end of the break-in period, not straight off.

I might have done that once or twice with both the Probe and the Cobra, in
fact.  I might've found it easier to resist in, say, the refrigerator white
Taurus Wagon I'm driving while the Cobra gets some recall work done
(parking brake lever, rear suspension knuckles, which can break when
subjected to 5000 rpm clutch drops while trying to spin slicks on a
VHT-treated dragstrip, apparently).

>As always, YMMV

26+ in the Probe, 20 or so in the Cobra (in-town street use, not
autocross), 13 (empty) or 7 (towing) in the E350. :)  Yep, my mileage does
vary. :)

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net