Re: CenDiv jerks

To: "Mark Hirt" <hirtmark@netscape.net>
Subject: Re: CenDiv jerks
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:41:49 -0500
> Comments on The New, in Grid Impound....
> How quick we forget "the way it was". Remember when your whole class had
> to parade over to another location and wait there to be released.

Oh, yeah. Necessary at something like Nationals.

But over here in MiDiv we've been doing that in-grid impound for years. I'm
sometimes the grid chief, and what I "make" drivers do is wait until the
heat is done before I begin clearing the grid (because I'm busy, if for no
other reason; but also to limit "traffic" to on-course and return). But as
soon as I send that last car out, I go back to the head of the grid, ask for
"issues" (there seem never to be any), and clear the grid. They still have
10-15 minutes of hood-open impound just waiting for the heat to finish. Even
the last classes have maybe 5 minutes while I am clearing the head of the
grid and working down to them. Doesn't take long. Doesn't need any half-hour
either. In MiDiv at least, most of these guys know each other and have for
years. In my  DP class we open the hoods pro-forma, because we all know each
others' cars. And if it is really windy, sometimes we agree to forego the
open hoods (plays hell with lightweight fiberglass pieces). Of course, if
somebody new shows up, we want to look at his and he wants to look at ours.

--Rocky Entriken