Re: Diamond wheels?

To: knuckledragger@kcweb.net, autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Diamond wheels?
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:52:23 -0500
>I have a potential good deal on a set of the Challenger series wheels and am

>a little worried that they don't list Solo or road racing as a specific
>purpose for the wheels.

If they are strong enough for circle-track, they are certainly strong enough
for autocross.  The stresses on a wheel on banked asphalt far exceed what you
can do on the flat, even on concrete.

>Also, what about wheels with no "safety beads"?  Anyone Solo on wheels with

>no safety beads?

I did run Yoko stickies on my stock Midget wheels for a bit.  The tire shop
made me sign a waiver or they would not mount them without innertubes.

>Is there anything to worry about such as a tendency for
>the beads to un-seat while cornering?

I never had it happen, but such things are certainly possible, or they would
not have invented the little bulges.

>Do the Keizers and Reals have safety
>beads?

Dunno.  You can see the beads from the outside of a steel wheel, but usually
cannot see them on the outside of a cast or forged wheel.  I don't know if this
is fact, but I think a single "J" in the size is a non-safety wheel and a "JJ"
is a safety wheel.

Phil "safety rims on my cars except for the wire wheels" Ethier