Re: absolutely nothing to do with anthing but always wanted to

To: "Yeoh Yiu" <squid@panix.com>, "Graeme Weston-Lewis"
Subject: Re: absolutely nothing to do with anthing but always wanted to
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:00:30 -0500
Our local council has unique numbers for each driver regardless of class.
Numbers are available from 1 to 999 (no, Rocky, "04" is not a number
different from "4").

As you can imagine, single-digit numbers are difficult to come by.  I have
always liked the number "7".  I guess that makes me pretty conventional.
When it suddenly became available some years ago, I grabbed it.  Then Don
Gettinger decided to let loose of "17", so I grabbed that too.  "117"
completes my trilogy for those occasions when we wind up with three drivers
on a car.  Now that we are allowed to pay for 5 years for our numbers, I
have paid for all three.

I was the first person to pony up the cash for the VTR 2002 convention.  The
registrar asked me if I wanted "2" ("1" was saved for the convention
chairman).  "Heck no," I told him, "I want 7".

I had no idea that the convention stickers would be printed up as
three-digit numbers with leading zeroes.  That's right.  The sticker on the
TR4 windscreen, center top, reads "007".

Having a single-digit number reserved sort of marks me as an "old timer",
and in a perverse sort of way I kind of like that.  (BTW, my  "Old Fartz",
number from Bob Tunnell is 008, but that does not get displayed on the car.
The "Old Fartz" logo does.)

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org