Re: absolutely nothing to do with anthing but always wanted to

To: <pethier@isd.net>, <squid@panix.com>, <gweston@lsil.com>,
Subject: Re: absolutely nothing to do with anthing but always wanted to
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:36:01 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <pethier@isd.net>
To: <rocky@tri.net>; <squid@panix.com>; <gweston@lsil.com>;
<autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: absolutely nothing to do with anthing but always wanted to ask

> >In solo you are correct. 04 would just be the first of a two-driver pair,
> >the second driver (in SCCA) being 104.
> >
> >But in road racing it is a separate number from 4. In fact, the reason I
had

> >to run 04 was that there was a 4 on the track at the same time.
> >
> >--Rocky
>
> I have seen this in road-racing and I don't know why it does not drive the
T&S
> folks crazy.
>
> We had folks hereabouts who ran goofy numbers like "00", but that all went
out
> the window when computerized scoring came in.

Some of them, it does, but it is well-established enough they just have to
deal with it.

(No I'm not just a heartless driver saying that, I carry a national T&S
license too).

It's really not a problem for timers and tapers, just for some computers
(and not all of them).

One of our top drivers, Bill Noble, 5-time  FV National Champion, has run 00
for decades.

The T&S computer system at Heartland Park does not recognize leading zeroes.
the T&S chief fixes that by (for example) entering Bill as "100" and then
just whites out the "1" on the printed result. When Bill's wife Lisa raced
as "0", Lisa was 100 and Bill was 200 in the 'puter.

I suggested once he try entering leading zeroes as the letter "O", but I
don't think he ever tried that.

--Rocky