Re: [evolution-disc.] Two Driver Run Order 2002 Nationals

To: <RX7cat@aol.com>, <rickcone@bellsouth.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Two Driver Run Order 2002 Nationals
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:52:55 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <RX7cat@aol.com>
To: <rickcone@bellsouth.net>; <autox@autox.team.net>;
<evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 12:27 PM

> > each
> > segment will run in numerical order, as directed by the grid marshal.
They
> > will be followed by the drivers without co-drivers running in grid
order.
> > They will proceed to the start line at the direction of the grid
marshal.
> > The second drivers of two driver teams in the segment will run no less
than
> > five minutes from the time the car returns to grid and as much as
possible
> > in grid order
>
> If you read it without thinking about it too much, yes it's correct.  Let
me
> just clarify further by saying, how it works will be this...
>
> Cars will go out in numerical order...if you hold onto this fact first and
> foremost you will understand.
> So...in any given class, the cars go out by numerical order, cars that
fall
> into the two driver category will be sent in numerical order, the only
> variation on this theme occurs when the 2nd driver of a 2 driver team's
turn
> in numerical order is less than 5 minutes from when the first driver ran.
At
> this point the grid staff will wait for 5 minutes to elapse before sending
> the 2nd driver.  If it has been less than 5 minutes from the first
driver's
> run, the grid staff will move down the line, and come back when the 5
minutes
> has elapsed.
>
> So, the _key_ thing to remember is that cars will run in numerical
order,(as
> much as possible, reruns, and not enough time between runs will change the
> order slightly),  first drivers of 2 car teams will _not_ go out before
all
> other drivers.
>
> Hope that clarifies things.  ( I spoke with the Nats Staff before posting
> this)
>
> Beth

That may be what you understood from national staff, and certainly they
should be the authority here, but that's not how I read the rule quoted
above.

"the first drivers of all two driver teams in each segment will run in
numerical order,"

All the 2-driver cars will be sent out first, with their first drivers, in
numerical order.

"They will be followed by the drivers without co-drivers running in grid
order."

The grid then returns to the beginning, and they begin sending out all the
rest of the cars, most of which are one-driver cars.

"The second drivers of two driver teams in the segment will run no less than
five minutes from the time the car returns to grid and as much as possible
in grid order."

As they go up the grid and encounter 2-driver cars, the second drivers will
be sent out in regular number order PROVIDING the 5-minutes has elapsed from
the first driver. Remember that most of those will have 100+ numbers, so
will be at the end of the class. But then, it says "grid order" not "number
order" so car 146 may follow car 45. because 46/146 could be in the grid
slot behind 45. Unless they get smart enough to put car 101 behind car 99 on
the grid and just go to that slot to pull out car 1 for the beginning of the
heat.

Not saying that's how it will end up being done, but to me that seems what
the rule says. In the end, it will end up being done the best way to get
cars to the course most expeditiously (and may not be done the same way in
two consecutive heats). Plan to be flexible! Bry to be ready when you think
your turn is coming, but keep in mind the grid folk are juggling a lot of
balls at the same time so patience is a virtue also. Grid is real easy until
s*** starts to happen, and it always does. When you are in the mess of
feeding in reruns and co-drivers, you can lose your place on where the grid
is and even what run it is. And it seems a corollary of Murphy's Law that
reruns always happen to co-driver cars. With grids of 60-80 drivers (yes!
nine out of 20 in that range by Tuesday's count!) it's gonna be a big chore.

--Rocky Entriken