Power line conditioners for portable generators

To: vernon_anderson@yahoo.com
Subject: Power line conditioners for portable generators
From: JD_Kemp@URSCorp.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:54:23 -0400
Vern Anderson writes:
"Our region is buying a portable generator ...  I'm almost certain
I need to use a power line conditioner to protect the solid-state stuff
... from fluctuations in the generator's power."

Hi Vern-

In my former life I was a geophysical well logger in the Appalachian coal
fields.  We had portable genny's on all the logging trucks which ran the
digital equipment (and the coffee maker).  There's a rating on generators,
which of course I can't remember properly, that has to do with being "RV"
Rated or "Construction" rated.

The "RV" rated ones put out a nice smooth signal with very little noise or
voltage fluctuation.  They'll run your laptop just fine.  Most Onan genny
sets are RV rated.  We used Onans strictly at my place of bidness.  That's
the kind you want to use.  The "Construction" rated gennys put out watts
and watts of power, and will run a Skil Saw just fine, but don't hook up
your 'puter or it'll fry.  The signal is both noisy and variable. And
that's the kind you DON'T want to use!

Side story -- One cold morning, the generator wasn't running quite as
smooth as it should have.  I had just booted the system up and was putting
paper in the printer when one of the rig hands heard the genny sputter and
went over to it and blipped the throttle linkage to clear the carb.  I
heard the sputter and turned around to kill the 'puter just in time to hear
the genny rev and watch all the lights grow bright for a second and then
die...  Had to drive three hours home, change out the 'puter and then drive
back to the job...  LONG DAY!

Hope this helps.

Peace, Love & Pushrods-
JD Kemp &