re: Power line conditioners for portable generators

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Power line conditioners for portable generators
From: "James A. Crider" <autojim@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:20:49 -0400
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:25:19 -0400, "Vern Anderson" wrote:

>Our region is buying a portable generator to supply power to our laptop,
>printer, amp/mic and other misc things.  We are also buying a digital
>display from RaceAmerica (the 5" tall 6065B model).  I'm almost certain
>I need to use a power line conditioner to protect the solid-state stuff
>(display, laptop, printer, amp/mic) from fluctuations in the generator's
>power.  Does anyone have any info about these, experience with them,
>where you can get them, etc?  Thanks!

Two ways to go here.  One is in the selection of generator.  The Honda IU
series costs a bit more, but has an internal solid-state inverter that
provides a really nice 60Hz signal on its AC output.  I have the 3000 watt
(peak) model (oddly enough, SCCA National Office got one this season to run
the RaceAmerica ProSolo system).  They have the side benefit of being VERY
quiet (quieter than most motorhome on-board generators in my experience)
and having a low-load sensing mode (called "EcoThrottle") that pulls the
engine RPMs down until there's some high demand.  So if you're only running
timing equipment, scoring computer & printer, and a small PA system, it's
probably only going to run on the low-throttle setting.  Which means you
can get 8+ hours out of a 3.5 gallon tank of fuel (I think I got over 12
hours of operation out of mine once).  When I bought mine in '99, it was
about $2000, I've since seen them for less.  Built like a tank (it weighs
around 135 lbs), and dead-nuts reliable so far, even after suffering
mightily when my ancient Fiesta salt car broke loose inside my trailer on
its way to its new home last year and stuffed the end cap of the case
(tiedowns ripped out of the car body.  $200 car did at least that much
damage to the trailer contents).

The other is to get just any generator and apply a good computer line
conditioner power strip.  I prefer those made by TrippLite out of Chicago,
sold under the IsoBar/IsoTel brands, but Belken and APS also make nice
ones.  A good one will run about $40-45 for 6 outlets.  If you're not
running a laptop that switches to its battery automatically when AC power
is lost, investing in a small Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS) for the
scoring computer is probably a Good Idea.  Good small ones suitable for
that purpose (20 minutes or so of reserve) from APS or TrippLite will run
around $80-100.  Any of these are available at a computer or office supply
store (OfficeMax, CompUSA, etc.).

Hope this is useful.

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net