Re: Power line conditioners for portable generators

To: vernon_anderson@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Power line conditioners for portable generators
From: SOLOMIATA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:29:30 EDT
Generators come in two grades.  Home/RV and contractor.

The electrical generator part of both types is more or less the same quality
with the major difference in the number of poles.  A US spec generator
produces sine wave AC power at 60 htz.  A two pole generator requires the
engine to spin it 1850 rpm while a single pole system requires the engine to
spin 3600 rpm to get the 60 htz.  The carburetors are typically set and
cannot be easily changed.  Most contractor grade systems not only use a cheap
B&S/ Tecumseh engine that is rough and varies the rpm (and thus voltage and
frequency - i.e 60 htz) but also a single pole generator requires a 3600 rpm
which makes the air cooled engine extra loud.  The RV/Home models typically
use a better quality and quieter Honda/Kohler water cooled engine that is
more rpm consistent and a two pole generator so it only has to spin 1850 rpm.

I have a contractor grade generator as backup power to my house for three
years now (used it twice already this year!).  When the power goes out I use
a laptop on it since laptop modern power supplies can handle anything from 50
htz (Britain) - 60 htz  and 100(Japan) - 220 (most of Europe) volts.  The
power supply basically conditions the 18-20 volts the laptop needs.

In three years never had a problem even when the B&S engine starts to sputter.

Randy