Re: So what was the correct line??

To: "Darren P. Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Subject: Re: So what was the correct line??
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 15:43:19 -0800
In message <4.3.0.20000306150307.00bba580@derf.madams.com>, "Darren P. Madams"
writes:
> I saw a lot of people take the puddle into the bump left turn wide and some
> take it really tight and slow.  Personally, I did it tight and slow and
> felt like I couldn't lay down power coming out and was in the wrong place
> for the next right hander onto the long straight.

I think I got it right on my first run, but mainly by accident. I went
  wide around the puddle going in, trying for a late turn-in and a
  late apex. When I went over the bump I started to understeer, so I
  lifted, which took me from understeer to oversteer. I just let the
  car recover herself (I love the way a Miata handles), and very
  quickly found myself pointed down the left side of the little
  straight into the righthand sweeper. I then said "I meant to do
  that," and just gave it gas and went.

I'm not sure it would work in any car but a Miata, and I'm not sure I
  could ever do it again. But it worked. :)

My later runs I just took it wide and *slow* going in, tried to get as
  much turning done as I could before topping the hump, accepted
  that I'd hoave no ability to turn for a bit after the hump,
  and tried to bring it in as tight as possible for a late apex.
  I think I ended up with the back end loose coming out of that
  corner on both my second and third runs, but too late to be useful.

I think throttle induced oversteer might have been useful. With that
  hump it was almost impossible to get enough rotation done early in
  the corner, so oversteer halfway through worked real well to get
  me lined up for getting out of the corner.

But what do I know?

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA