Re: SFR autocross opener

To: Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com
Subject: Re: SFR autocross opener
From: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:41:52 -0800
In message <LNBBIPCHGANGCLIKCLLAKEALHCAA.Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>,
"Kevin Stevens" writes:
>While having people not get lost is A Good Thing, it should be a result rather
>than a goal of good course design.  I wouldn't agree that it should be pursued
>as a primary indicator of a successful program.
>
>Yesterday's course was very well designed for the location, expected weather,
>and number of entrants.  It was somewhat simplistic for a typical SFR and
>national course - running it in my head I count 11 notable elements, vs 16-24
>that I find typical for an SCCA course.

Well, in homage to Rich Urschel, here are some (very) rough numbers
from last year's normal season events:

round1:  79 DNFs / 846 runs
round2:  62 DNFs / 717 runs
round3:  27 DNFs / 519 runs
round4:  31 DNFs / 712 runs
round5:  54 DNFs / 716 runs
round6:  31 DNFs / 690 runs
round7:  28 DNFs / 796 runs
round8:  16 DNFs / 608 runs
round9:  24 DNFs / 472 runs
round10:  18 DNFs / 603 runs
round11:  22 DNFs / 588 runs
round12:  24 DNFs / 868 runs
round13:  17 DNFs / 876 runs
round14:  9 DNFs / 540 runs
round15:  21 DNFs / 560 runs
round16:  10 DNFs / 576 runs
round17:  12 DNFs / 620 runs
round18:  6 DNFs / 520 runs

I just made a quick pass at the reported results with an awk script,
reporting the total number of lines I saw multiplied by the number
of runs per person.  I occasionally got more lines than report
entries;  I suppose that this is due either to people buying fun
runs in addition to thier regular runs, or due to my lame awk hacking.

Kevin "Too-Much-Time-On-His-Hands" Lahey
kml@patheticgeek.net