Re: To shift, or not to shift??

To: Chris Tweney <cat@pobox.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To shift, or not to shift??
From: Scot Zediker <mx5_1991@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:47:23 -0800 (PST)
First of all, there are no stupid questions!

Myself, I never shift on course, though I still brake
with my right foot.  Under most circumstances,
whatever time I would gain by taking a corner in first
is lost in shifting gears.  FWIW, I drive a 1.6L Miata
(116 hp, RWD).

The only time I find it worth my while to shift is on
a course with a long, fast section.  The course we had
at 3Com last Sunday is a good example.  Leaving the
car in second, I was bouncing off the rev limiter for
about half of the back "straight."

Scot - proud to be "shiftless" ;)