Re: To shift, or not to shift??

To: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Subject: Re: To shift, or not to shift??
From: Kit Wetzler <kitwetzler@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:39:14 -0800
Keith Hearn wrote:
> I'm driving a Miata (140 bhp, RWD), and all of my power (such as it
>   is - quit snickering, you Corvette drivers!) is above 4K rpm. I
>   generally stay in 2nd, but on some tight corners I'll drop into
>   1st. There weren't any that required it last Sunday at Oakland,
>   but it's not unusual to see a tight 180 that works better in 1st.

Another thing to keep in mind is that RWD cars can put their power down
much better... my Miata (CA version '99) put it's 138 horsepower down to
the ground just fine, and my S2000 does, too.  However, my friend's SE-R
(what I'm driving on street touring this year) tends to make Massive
Wheelspin whenever you go down to first...

I find that staying in second is usually the fast way, unless you are
VTEC impaired, in which case, downshifting to first (or getting out and
pushing) is about the only way... ;)  Remember, smooth is fast!  (I'm
telling myself as much as anyone else...)

        -Kit

--
Kit Wetzler     http://www.mindspring.com/~kitwetzler

"Happy Motoring"  - M. Kempe