Re: To shift, or not to shift??

To: Chris Tweney <cat@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: To shift, or not to shift??
From: Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:13:07 -0800 (PST)
You downshift when the car needs to.  If you don't downshift because the
car doesn't need to, that's fine.  If you don't downshift because you
can't do it smoothly, that needs work.

Downshifting shouldn't normally hurt your times, because you do it while
braking.  *UP*shifting is what takes the time.  So a decision to downshift
is whether the time gained by accelerating in first gear will be greater
than the time lost in shifting into second again (if necessary).  This
will be different for different cars and courses.

KeS