To shift, or not to shift??

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: To shift, or not to shift??
From: Chris Tweney <cat@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:02:03 -0800
OK, this question has had me fretting since Saturday's event.

I was talking to my co-courseworker, Darryl, who said that
he runs his Cabriolet through almost the entire course in 2nd
gear. Now what I've found is that I'm losing lots of time by
trying -- and usually failing -- to heel-and-toe downshift into
1st on the slower turns. So should I just forget about downshifting
in autocrosses, or should I work on perfecting heel-and-toe?
What are y'all doing out there -- left-foot braking w/o shifting?

I'm driving an ES Hyundai Tiburon  (140bhp, FWD), if that affects
the answer.

Anybody want to help a newcomer out? This feels like such a
stupid question that I hate myself for asking it, but there it is.

---
Chris Tweney
http://www.pobox.com/~cat