Re: Time Slip position and "the chair"

To: Phil Esra <pesra@yahoo.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Time Slip position and "the chair"
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@liquidaudio.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:48:46 -0800
At 03:03 PM 3/14/00 -0800, Phil Esra wrote:

>It's a little dangerous because it's easy to forget that it's a little
>dangerous. I worked that position in an afternoon run group on Saturday
>and almost ended up with a Miata in my lap once or twice, but I was
>always paying close attention when a car was finishing, and I stood up
>and got ready to run on a couple of occasions. You can see that kind of
>spin coming from about 3 turns away :)

I worked that position for a little bit before Phil was kind enough to
relieve me, and it kind of surprised me when Phil just plonked on down in
that chair.  When I was working there, several cars came blowing on past (I
got real good at shouting at them to stop...), and there were a number of
cars that made me get ready to run.  Also, for some reason, no one would
stop close enough to take the slip if I was sitting down... :-(

>On a related note: I'm all for personal responsibility/accountability
>for drivers, but it doesn't seem fair to automatically blame the driver
>when they lose control in a big way in a tricky section.

I keep remembering that primer gray 914 in the 6th or 7th run group - on
his first run, he took out what looked like the entire line of cones from
the finish light to the time slip chair.  On his third run, he lost it even
worse and took out the timing light.  Now, once may be forgiven as a rookie
mistake.  Twice seems to be getting a little too reckless for my tastes...

Jim Ochi
jochi@liquidaudio.com