RE: STS Class in SFR

To: Bay_Area_Autocross_List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: STS Class in SFR
From: "Watson, Mark" <Mark.Watson@Schwab.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:02:00 -0800
Here's my take on this thread:

I see the following advantages/disadvantages with STS.

Street Touring - street tire (ST-ST) competitors could run in the Street
Tire indexed class, the advantage to this is a PAX index that could be very
competitive based on the level of preparation. Another advantage is that
they can run their Street Tires and do not need to invest in alternate Rims
and Race tires.
The only disadvantage I can think of is they will be competing against a
larger number of cars and many different indexes (I think this requires a
calculator at events, to figure out where you stand at the end of the day)

Another thing to consider is that Street Touring Rookies (ST-R) are required
to run on street tires, this could provide a STS _like_ class to compete in,
until they decide to run in the open class or run in the Street Tire class.

Street Touring - S (STS) competitors competing in their own class still have
the advantage of running on their street tires and most likely a smaller
number of entrants (this could actually be a slight disadvantage as it
relates to Trophy count because of the smaller class size)

The class identifiers in (  ) above are how I believe we are marking cars in
SFR, these may differ outside of the region - does this look right , Jerry?

-Mark (SFR Street Touring pioneer)