RE: Web Results Notification

To: Bay_Area_Autocross_List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Web Results Notification
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:57:16 -0800
> > Hey! watch out!  You get everybody pinging the site every
> > few minutes,  you'll swamp the server, or cost SCCA more money for
> > a higher level of service.

Yeah, I know, if done improperly (I.E. no delay between retries) it could
easily swamp both our connections.  However, I'm targeting something in the
range of one ping every 5 minutes or so, which only translates to 288 hits a
day, and only on the days when we are expecting imminent results being
posted.  Your Apache server can handle at least 288 hits at every few
_seconds_, so I really doubt I'll even be a blip on your statistics reports.
However, if there does prove to be ANY problems please let me know ASAP and
I'll kill the bot.

As far as everybody pinging your site, I would hope that wouldn't happen.
That's the whole reason I'm setting my bot up to send an announcement email
to a public email list people can subscribe to, so it only takes one bot and
a few pings to notify a bunch of people.

> > This time there is a delay because our Pat is under the weather.
> > Keep yer shirt on!

ARG!!!  Post-event/pre-results life in an indexed class is SO stressful...

=)

-Carl