Re: brake bias

To: Greg Umbay <greg_umbay@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: brake bias
From: Kit Wetzler <kitwetzler@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:18:07 -0700
> I am a bit confused.  I just recieved my A4 Avant back from it's 15K service
>> and the rear brake pads were down to 50% and the front pads were at 70% >
>remaining.  I thought that the front brakes do most of the stopping.  I had >
>expected that the fronts would be more worn.  Are there any other Audi A4 >
>owners who have the same situation.  The car is 100% showroom stock, never >
>been autoXed or out on open track.  Just my wife's daily driver.

Maybe she has been doing a few rally style e-brake slides?  :)

German cars often use the rear brakes quite a bit.  I know that my old
Nissan NX2000 still had it's stock pads with over half the life
remaining at 98K miles, but my M3 needed new rear pads at 60K.  Probably
not a problem, but you might want to keep an eye on the calipers.  See
if the rear wheels are noticeably warm after driving, and that the
parking brake is adjusted correctly, to see if the rear pads are
dragging or something like that.

        -kit