RE: Brakes at Laguna (was: c2 automotive)

To: "'navid@interwoven.com'" <navid@interwoven.com>,
Subject: RE: Brakes at Laguna (was: c2 automotive)
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:12:17 -0800
> 5) Don't brake too much in 10.  It's not as bad as you think.  It's an
> optical illusion. :)

That row of tires in front of the wall in front of the pit lane all of 10
feet from the edge of the pavement at the exit of 10 is NOT an optical
illusion!  =P

> Mandatory AutoX content: AutoX skills will save your life on
> track one day.

With out a doubt.  Much better to learn the beyond-normal-operating-envelope
characteristics of one's vehicle going 40MPH with nothing but a bunch of
cones to hit (and practicing repeatedly), instead of at more than double
that speed with walls and gravel pits to worry about.  It's saved me from
going off course and possible damage a couple times already, once in turn 2
at Laguna and once in turn 10 at Thunderhill.

AutoX content:  Use the right brake pad for the right environment.  One of
my ClubZ guys didn't have time to swap out his R4 race pads from a
Thunderhill trip before a very cold AutoX at GGF.  Not surprisingly, his car
didn't stop very well ;-).

-Carl