RE: Auto-X school

To: Bryan64@earthlink.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Auto-X school
From: ejbaylis@pacbell.net
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:40:22 -0700
According to our tentative schedule, our SCCA driver school will be on
April 28 at Golden Gate Fields.  Last I heard from Dennis Hale, the NASA
school was scheduled for February 17 at Marina.  Each of those dates is a
Saturday, and in each case the school will be followed by an event the next
day at the same location, so you can practice your new skills!  And
Evolution is scheduled for March 25 in Sacramento.

I've attended all 3, and instructed at the local schools.  I'd second Kevin
Stevens' point about skill levels and the usefulness of schools.  At our SCCA
school we (that is, Kevin usually!) work hard to match the student's level
of skill with the right instructor.  You can really learn a lot at any level
from having someone who's in your car solely for the purpose of giving
useful feedback on your driving, your lines, etc.  Both SCCA and NASA have
some very skilled instructors, as well as some who do well with
beginners:-)

I found McKamey (which is what it was when I took it) to be very helpful,
especially in learning how to look ahead.  That has helped significantly in
how I approach  a course, because before McKamey I always felt like I was
spending much of my time in the car figuring out where the heck the
course was going, as opposed to how to best drive the course.  (And that
would be after walking the course at least 3 times.)  I truly think I can
drive a course I've never walked better now than I used to drive a course
I'd walked several times -- needless to say, it still helps immensely to
walk the course several times!

Watch our website for driver school signup, and respond early -- it
always sells out.

EJ Bayliss
AS MR2T