Re: Tech on Grid (was: Informal Poll on pre-reg.)

To: "James Creasy" <black94pgt@pacbell.net>,
Subject: Re: Tech on Grid (was: Informal Poll on pre-reg.)
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:03:50 -0800
There are problems with either approach.

The problems with the old way were pretty similar --
there was nobody doing tech, and so people had to
wait interminably, very often frantically trying to
get their cars teched so they were not counted late
on grid.  Also, people without any technical
knowledge would sign up for tech, and inadequate
checking was done.  Since tech was far from the action,
it was hard for the Event Chairs to be aware of the
situation, and hard for people in tech line to find
the event chair, or even know who that person may be.
Tech was pitiful before we went to tech on grid.

At least with tech on grid, everyone is focussed on
what is happening.

On balance, I think off-grid is better, but to make it work we
have to have somebody responsible to keep it staffed and
effective.  A chief can make this happen, but it takes
more -- assign somebody to police tech, or do it yourself.
Will anybody volunteer to be region tech chief?  That would
do the trick.

On-grid problems might be solved by having a run group 3 worker tech
run group 4 cars, and start as soon as run group 3 starts.  Then there
is plenty of time to correct problems, and easy to manage by the chair,
as it's happening right there.  And someone extra would have to tech
run group 1 -- there are lots of set-up workers who would qualify.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!