Re: Tech on Grid -- Fuel to the Fire

To: "Randy Noll" <rnoll98@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Tech on Grid -- Fuel to the Fire
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:41:38 -0800
Randy,

We have run 6 groups in the past, not a problem.

But we are running 8 because of the number of
attendees we get.  With 8 groups we should average
25 workers per group.  Take out chairs, registration
and setup, and you get 23.  That should be enough, right?
True, there are variances, but chairs have to juggle people
around to some extent.  With 6 groups, the problem can be
40 driver run groups, and workers standing out 2 hours
or so.  It has definitely happened!  It's always a balance.

Same number would be required for tech in either case,
pretty much.  I don't think that's the tech problem.

The gate problem is not a matter of too few people, it's
worker safety at our risky venues.

Even the posting problem is not a matter of too few, it's
redirection.  We had more coureseworkers than absolutely
necessary, and taking one to post would not have hurt.
I think it's juat an awareness thing.

Your 8 extra would provide 31 workers per group --
wouldn't there be a lot of extra people standing around on
course?

I define the run groups, and I use historical data from the previous
season to define the current one.  I always try to insure that the best
bet is we'll have enough workers at every run group, and that the number
of drivers in each group are about even..  If it seems there
won't be enough, I will go to 6 groups -- I didn't foresee a problem
for 2001 Slush.  As you can see, completely different people show
up for every event, and the balance can be off.  That's why shuffling
workers from one group to another is sometimes called for -- or
calling for volunteers...

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!