Re: 02 Pax

To: craig boyle <craig_autox@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 02 Pax
From: Glenn Ellingson <geewiz@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:43:31 -0800
craig boyle kicked off an interesting discussion with:
> So what is the right car for SM2?  A Miata turbo
> (>250rwhp, <2000pounds, 12 years worth of suspension
> development) seemed like the choice to me? What else?

Having a change of heart about selling that R package
of yours, Craig? :-)

How do you get the turbocharged miata under 2000 pounds in a
class where you have to keep your interior/heater/lights/etc?
Would glass fenders be enough (and are they street legal)?

Forced-induction miatas might be a fun and common SM2 car,
but I think that for people in SFR the proper car will be
"something built before 1974," or whenever that was, so as
to get a california smog exemption :).

Bringing a CARB-legal miata to Topeka would be giving up
quite an advantage to non-smog states, I would think.

What about a pre-smog RX-3 with a monster rotary or something?

Or a pre-smog 914 with an updated engine?

I have no idea how engine-swapping a Honda works in this state,
but a forced-induction or engine-swapped CRX could be quite a
contender too if smog rules permit it. FWD would not help get
the power down, but it is certainly a proven (and light) chassis.

Are there any 2-seater AWD vehicles that could be contenders?
Maybe the turbo 911 AWD?

Or maybe just a Z06 or Calloway Corvette/BMW Z8/Ferrari? :)

Is there an exclusion list for SM2?

-- Glenn