Baking instructions for Falken Azenis tires

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Baking instructions for Falken Azenis tires
From: Joe Ciarcia <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:39:19 -0800 (PST)
A friend co-drove my car on Sunday. We were getting
cycled through the line the second we switched drivers
and as a result the tires got a little toasty. Okay...
more than a little toasty, they were BLAZING hot!!! We
both noticed the grip was getting progressively worse.
Normally I'd question my own driving but, I was really
pleased with my 3rd and final run and as we were
crossing the finish line my co-driver said "wow, that
should be a really good time". I thought so too, I
didn't make any major mistakes, the run just felt
great. I was thinking that I nailed something in the
high 58's. Nope, I was over a half second slower than
my first (which was also my fastest) run and ended up
with a 60.2xx. We were both kind of puzzled.

I often see people with little containers of water
cooling down their tires between runs. I always
thought to myself "self, you are't a consistent enough
driver for that to make a difference". After Sunday
I'm thinking to myself "self, you really ought to buy
a water tank".

So for those in the know, what's the deal? Does
watering the tires really help (I kinda wish watering
them would help me to grow new ones)? Is this heat vs
performance curve that we noticed real or imagined?
Has anyone conducted any (somewhat) controlled
experiments with the Falkens to evaluate their
performance in relation to heat?

Cheers, Joe

=====
Silly little Yahoo advert follows...