RE: Baking instructions for Falken Azenis tires

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Baking instructions for Falken Azenis tires
From: "Ian Green" <iagreen@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:27:54 -0800 (PST)
Down in Calclub (l.a. region) the STS crowd got together a while ago and
figured out the whole water sprayer thing on the azeni'. I think the ideal
temp was decided to be about 130-135 and all the top STS contenders spray
their tires down after *every* run. I think they wet them more than the r-
tire guys. I haven't noticed mine overheating but my car is also 2300# and
has that camber friendly double wishbone thing that might help. Or its
driving style.

Ian

> A friend co-drove my car on Sunday. We were getting
> cycled through the line the second we switched drivers
> and as a result the tires got a little toasty. Okay...
> more than a little toasty, they were BLAZING hot!!! We
> both noticed the grip was getting progressively worse.
> Normally I'd question my own driving but, I was really
> pleased with my 3rd and final run and as we were
> crossing the finish line my co-driver said "wow, that
> should be a really good time". I thought so too, I
> didn't make any major mistakes, the run just felt
> great. I was thinking that I nailed something in the
> high 58's. Nope, I was over a half second slower than
> my first (which was also my fastest) run and ended up
> with a 60.2xx. We were both kind of puzzled.
>
> I often see people with little containers of water
> cooling down their tires between runs. I always
> thought to myself "self, you are't a consistent enough
> driver for that to make a difference". After Sunday
> I'm thinking to myself "self, you really ought to buy
> a water tank".
>
> So for those in the know, what's the deal? Does
> watering the tires really help (I kinda wish watering
> them would help me to grow new ones)? Is this heat vs
> performance curve that we noticed real or imagined?
> Has anyone conducted any (somewhat) controlled
> experiments with the Falkens to evaluate their
> performance in relation to heat?
>
> Cheers, Joe
>
> =====
> Silly little Yahoo advert follows...