Re: Round 6 results are posted

To: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Round 6 results are posted
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:18:00 -0800
> Jerry,
>         Yes and No.
>         There's often a forgotten reason why a different class succeeds.
> One key reason is that it's a method of avoiding the experienced--and
> faster--drivers in an existing class.
>         Just check how many drivers in the noted classes are not new to the
> scene and who previously competed in an existing class.
>
> --John Kelly

Or maybe the STS guys/gals are just more fun to hang out with!

I think a big component is that you are not allowed to remove
emissions equipment in STS, and some folks actually do like to drive
their autocross cars on the street.  Yes, it can be done in stock, but
most practical cars aren't much fun to drive without a little
suspension work.  Lose the ban on rear swaybars and I think you'll see
some of the FWD STS folks migrate back to stock.  Allow one swaybar,
front or rear...competitor's choice.

I was in that position once.  I had an Integra that I was running in
stock.  It understeered and leaned and there was really nothing to be
done about it.  Driving it was more frustrating than fun.  So I came
up with two options: phone up Ground Control and make the leap to
STS/STR against Chok and Sobie, or trade for a Miata and run in stock
against Katie, Craig, Kevin, and Keith.  Neither class was really
"easy pickin's".  DSP was out of the question due to the cost; even
though I dreamed of installing a Torsen I couldn't afford it.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94