Re: Round 6 results are posted

To: Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>,
Subject: Re: Round 6 results are posted
From: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop487@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:08:45 -0800
That's interesting, as a stepping stone. That certainly wasn't the
implication at the time the classes were created; it was the ONLY place
where a national set of classes existed. Every area of the country had its
own ruleset; to try to combine all of those was impossible, with too much
turf protection rampant.
Also, think back to the cars that were available in the early 70s...not very
good cars, junk, British junk, U.S. junk, few reliable cars. As an example,
the shock rule for stock came about because all of the stock classes needed
help...or we would have been flipping cars left and right (Okay, that's an
exageration!) :)
    Race Prepared (the source of the original Prepared classes) resulted
from the very real fact that the British cars (and others) were not very
reliable. Almost every rule has a basis on a safety/reliability need of
those cars.
    The source of the original Prepared cars was worn-out or no longer
competitive race cars, where they could be purchased for not that much
money. That probably is still a source...It wasn't intended to encourage
folks to go to road racing, though I can certainly see where you might think
that.
    As for taking the step to road racing, folks are going to do that no
matter what they drive. And they're wise to do so with a car they don't mind
demolishing. :( Or can afford to make extensive repairs.
    As for the definition of fun, it can be found in most places if one
keeps an open mind. You sort of imply that M/P are not fun. Not so.
--Pat K