Re: The hardest autox skill?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The hardest autox skill?
From: Joe Ciarcia <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:43:35 -0800 (PST)
--- Darren Madams <darren@madams.com> wrote:
> An excellent question.  I'll answer it in two
> (possibly more) ways.
>
> The "hardest" autox skill to learn is without a
> doubt left foot braking.

There's an understatement. I first tried it at the
autox school. All I can guess is that when we did the
full course it must have been very amusing for
everyone watching to see me pop out of the start box
and then come to a dead stop. The look on my face must
have been absolutely priceless. You see, I had a
little difficulty at first distinguishing between the
brake pedal and the clutch.

I'm now much more comfortable with it and use the left
foot to steer with. Using the left foot also allows me
to keep my turbo spooled up which is tremendously
useful. My transitions from wide open throttle to
being hard on the brakes are also faster. It's a
double edged sword though, on my car I can lose my
brakes completely if I'm on the throttle too much.
That's resulted in more than one downed cones. Right
now I'm trying to relearn where that threshold is
which I'm finding difficult as it's a characterstic
that's specific to my car. It's also dynamic based on
the course, and how much brake and throttle I've been
applying over time.

Despite all the difficulty I believe I'm much faster
with left foot braking. I dropped at least a second
(on an "average" 60 second course) off of my times by
introducing my left foot into the equation.

Joe

=====
Silly little Yahoo advert follows...