Re: The hardest autox skill?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The hardest autox skill?
From: Toy4speed@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:48:58 EST
In a message dated 12/10/2002 6:28:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
james@thevenom.net writes:

> ok, more of james's controversial advice:
>
> left foot braking might be theoretically better but i dont like it for two
> reasons:
>
> 1. it makes braking seem more important than it is so most left foot
> brakers
> over brake all the time
>
> 2. it makes most people less decisive, and being decisive is very important
> in autox.
>
> having to DECIDE when to give up the brake and get on the gas gets you on
> the gas sooner, where all the good stuff happens.  (however, it does nag at
> me because sherry, who drives my car very nicely and left foot brakes, can
> do some things i cant, still, i always get on the gas sooner and am usually
> faster)

I started left-foot braking last season when Charlie co-drove the Supra.  I
was fortunate to be able to ride with him in my car and observe some of his
LFB style.
I believe it really helps a nose heavy RWD car like mine wrap around cones
better.  I sincerely believe it is a vital technique for FWD cars.  Most of
what James says I agree with.  Went through all of it myself.  I think it's
just a learning process.  I had several stab the clutch situations only to
find myself stopped on course.  Just takes time for it to be reflex.  Me,
took over a year.  Just don't ask me to shift once my left foot gets hovering
over the brake pedal.  Now THAT talent will take another year !

Don Lew
DSP  (doing suspension prep)