Re: The hardest autox skill?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The hardest autox skill?
From: Vernon Head <vlhead@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:23:33 -0800
On Left Foot Braking. The way it was taught to me by Rich Coffey was this:
if you leave your left foot on the floor, you have to pick it up before you
can use the brake. This takes a tenth or two. If you have your left foot
poised over the brake, you are much quicker and more effective, especially
in autocross. You can use the brake and gas quickly and even overlap them.
Jim Martin also taught me some LFB techniques, like dragging the brakes
while staying on the throttle. This helps keep the turbo spooled up (RX7).

I agree that LFB does create a tendency to brake too hard, because the left
foot doesn't have the sensitivity that the right one has. Practice.

But I still think the hardest part is the mental part. My biggest mistake is
usually trying too hard not to blow the run anywhere, and in the process I
leave time out there. Of course, you can't win if you hit cones all the
time.

-Vernon