Re: The hardest autox skill?

To: Peter Mottaz <mph_16@hotmail.com>, lollipop487@attbi.com,
Subject: Re: The hardest autox skill?
From: Ms Katie Kelly <aceontour@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:35:50 -0800 (PST)
When I got to drive the Phantom, I walked the course
several times. I wasn't messing around. As per Gary
and Joe's advice, I accepted that I would have very
little control over lines, and that ultimately I would
just be steering, very fast. This is when memorization
comes in handy. Looking ahead wouldn't be enough,
because I had to remember where to look.

Coincidentally, I've just been e-mailing Peter Raymond
about course walking. He walks the course a billion
times, while I panic if I go more than twice. He gave
me 4th at nationals this year, thanks to his cones,
and I have him 4th at nationals in '99 thanks to my
cones, so we're even.

But I found this interesting. When he walks a course,
he thinks in pictures. I always wondered about that.
That's why I get so frustrated walking the course with
other people near by. They talk about it. It's the
words that get me all messed up. I put my hands over
my ears so I don't hear what they're saying.

Last year at the warm up event, I was working a corner
with professional racer TC Kline, and he was observing
all those who were "leading the car," which is his
expression. Well, after that, I was trying to "lead
the car," when before all that, I just had this
picture in my head, and this feeling, and now it's
been expressed in words. Anyhow, I blew it.

So, maybe some of us are visual and some verbal. All I
know is, when I think in words, I have terrible
problems.

Just some food for thought.

-Katie