Re: Miata classification question.

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miata classification question.
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:40:21 EST
John Kelly writes:

>         As the present committee and the SEB gets to vote on who is
> actually on the PAC, they weren't about to bring on board someone who
> disagrees with their personal "me first" philosophy different than the new
> proposed member's. It's far easier to win a trophy at the bargaining table
> than actually win.

Mr. Kelly is wrong, the PAC does not have a "me first" attitude, they just
disagree that his car should be allowed to weight substantially less than the
other cars in the class.  In fact, the Miata's weight and limitations in DP
and the Lotus 7A's weight have been adjusted to give them a similar
weight/displacement numbers for 2003.  The PAC is also exploring formulae
that give different weight displacement numbers for cars with different types
of engines, and that should benefit his car for 2004.

As far as PAC membership, candidates are chosen for their ablities to work
within the group and their abilities to contribute on the many levels
required.  I believe we had 6 applicants that we did not accept for 2003, so
Mr. Kelly shouldn't feel picked on or singled out...

>         Meanwhile the SEB rather plaintively asks for help elsewhere
> questioning what can be done to improve attendance in the variuous Prepared
> classes. CP with a big lobby doesn't need help. The others are slowly
> expiring.

The SEB and PAC are working on this.  We realize the problems, and are trying
to find a better formula for the classes that need help.  Satisfying the
diverse interests of SCCA's members is a daunting task.  The "what to do with
Miatae in Prepared" debate is a case in point.  DP didn't want them, EP
didn't want them, they didn't want to go to AP...  And if ever there was a
car that we should support for the future of SCCA, it's the Miata!  Let's
face it, part of DP's problem is that new competitors are not interested in
building old British and Italian cars.  Do we support the old guard, and
allow them to slowly retire, while not bringing new blood into the class?

Another major problem for Prepared as a whole is the choices our young
competitors have.  SP, SM, STS, F125 are all choices that take away from
someone who might otherwise build a prepared car.

Meanwhile, I'm enthused about the current PAC, which has added Dwayne Komush
and retiring SEB member Guy Ankeny for 2003.

Charlie Davis
NPDiv SEB representative
SEB liason to the PAC (NOT considered to be the
"cushy" liason position, but I'm going to stick with it!!!)