Re: grid procedures

To: darren@madams.com
Subject: Re: grid procedures
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2003 22:09:52 -0000
On 5 Oct 2003 21:15:49 -0000 Darren Madams <darren@madams.com> wrote:

> I saw a similar occurance of this at the Sac chapter event at Stockton a
>couple of weeks ago... throw in sand-bagging Corvette drivers, the occasional
>three-driver car, and (not at this event) two drivers in a kart and there's
>bound to be some delay.  Most could be alleviated by putting a little fire
>under the multi-driver cars and get them to turnover speedily.

My preferred run order and an insistance that it be followed barring a
mechanical failure does mitigate the delays, and prevents sandbaggers from
gaining advantage (there are PAX-based season trophies in addition to class
trophies in Sacramento).

> Sac chapter still seems pretty paranoid about running with karts, but with a
>seperate grid like they had there should not be that much of a slowdown in
>between.

We're running karts in the Sacramento Chapter whenever they want to come out
which is fairly frequently.

> As kart drivers we do have a fair amount of gear to get on and off, but we
>try to make driver changes as quickly as possible.  Nothing screws that up
>than grid people trying to rush us to go at unexpected times... or make back
>to back runs.

I routinely give John Burns a five minute warning when his turn is coming. Back
to back runs are the karters option.

> As I understand, the current rules DO allow you to run a [adult] kart
>following a car on course, but just can not have a car chasing it.

I don't like the current rules if so. Depending on where the karts grid, there
can be more risk in the grid/start/finish areas than on course. That's an area
more likely to be overlooked by a grid worker even with the old rules. And
we're talking what, 30 seconds or less to hold a kart before a car finishes?

I don't think 1-3 minute delays with each set of kart runs are a problem. My
only suggestion is to always run them immediately after the 2-driver cars run
to facilitate driver changeovers.

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com