RE: GGF track condition

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, "Sean O'Boyle" <seanoboyle@covad.net>
Subject: RE: GGF track condition
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:14:38 -0400

Message text written by "Sean O'Boyle"

"Thanks John!
And if anyone else doesn't like GGF then they should go find another site
too!

(SFR already has the best site in the nation - and for some reason only
uses
it for two events each year.  Why do we need to find another site?)

-Sean"

If you are referring to the former CASTLE AFB in Atwater, I agree with you
100 percent.
It is located two (2) hours driving time from the Bay Area and you are
guaranteed temperature over 100 degrees in the summer time.
        Staging regular events at that site is not very profitable. People
vote with their fee/wheels. Castle works well for major events in the
spring. That's why the Pro Solo are scheduled in May. It was Howard
Duncan's call to put the Pro on Mother's Day. Events inside the Bay Area do
much better attendance-wise for SFR. I think we have tried to run a
balanced schedule. It has been several years since I reserved space at
Castle but I learned the base operators charge us more than the Fresno
Chapter. The Chapter leadership has been sworn to secrecy on the money
angle. Now it's possible we could get the base management to even things
out but that might lead to other problems that will affect SFR in a
Negative manner. So I've never pushed it. I'm just glad the Fresno Chapter
has a place to run.
        PS: Initially the Pro Solo meet was organized by a key member of
the Fresno Chapter but he moved to San Diego. The Fresno Chapter supplied
three workers and we in SFR supplied everybody else. With their key guy
moved out of town, one year nobody reserved the site and Pro Solo ended up
in a slightly smaller space in between two very large jet exhaust
deflectors.  That's when SFR came into the picture. National previously
paid the organization fee to the Fresno Chapter before we in SFR
intervened.
        That's probably more than you want to know. It's a complex
situation and you are invited to be the site finder. I did it for four
years and I no longer have the time.
        Our present liaison person to Castle tells us she, too, no longer
has the time. So come on board.

--John Kelly