Re: Chassis stiffness (revisited...)

To: "Phil Martin" <pmartin@isgtec.com>,
Subject: Re: Chassis stiffness (revisited...)
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 02:16:59 -0500
>*** Front Suspension:
>At least a set of new poly bushings.  As I understand it, I can get these
>from AMC performance people.  Any sources?

Do you really want that harsh and noisy a ride? Check out Super Shops. We
just did a '69 Z28, ruined it for the street.

>I'm thinking that getting some springs to give a lower ride height and a
>progressive rate might be a good idea.  Would I have to custom-order these
>kind of springs?  Either way I'd be appreciative of some pointers to
>sources.

The wheel wells won't allow much lowering without reducing tire size. Not a
good tradeoff. Again, check with Super Shops.

>At the extreme, I might also want to go for rack & pinion steering gear.
> Does this make any sense?  How feasable is it?  How good/bad is the stock
>recirculating ball?  Has anyone done this?  I'm thinking that a
>Pinto/Mustang II unit is likely the way to go if I decide to go this route,
>just because it's what everybody uses.  Any thoughts?

Rack and pinion is nice and weighs less, but may not fit without redesigning
the entire front end. Is the P/M unit heavy duty enough for the Bricklin's
weight and compatible with the existing pump?

>*** Rear Suspension:
>At least a posi unit with disc brakes (like the 9" unit from a Lincoln
>Versailes).

Disc brakes would be nice, but be sure and add an adjustable proportioning
valve since you want very little rear braking force.

>Again, I think some lowering and stiffening may be in order.  Can I just
>add leaves & spacers to the orignal springs, or is there another solution
>out there?

Again, the front limits how much you can lower. Stiffening will make the
rear end slide/bounce even more since there's no weight in the rear. An
anti-roll bar and watts linkage is the ticket here.

>I'm also considering going to an independant rear suspension, either a
>Vette or Jag rear end.  I believe that this would be the most expensive of
>any of the chassis/suspension mods I'm thinking about, so I'd really like
>to hear some feedback.  Has anyone done this kind of conversion?  Was it
>worth it?  Has anyone considered this and decided against it?  Why?

I helped put a Cobra kit together years ago with a Jag rear. It cost about
$5500 for parts and refurbishing. It would definitely be a big improvement
over a solid rear in both ride and handling with the proper shock/spring
combo.

>*** General Chassis:
>A few months ago when I posted about this, I got a nice, detailed response
>from Gregory Monfort.  He suggested the following:
>
> 1) Gusseting all joints.
> 2) A hoop in front of the firewall with other braces running from the two
>bends in the hoop, to the towers, then down to the frame.
> 3) A cross brace across the towers.
> 4) Make channel braces to effect 'X' frame bracing in the center portion
>to tie the four corners to the existing cross brace. *
>
>* That one is a quote - I'm not sure I get it.  Is there room under the car
>to weld up an 'X' frame brace?  With the passenger compartment hanging down
>below the frame, wouldn't this be awfully difficult?  If Gregory or someone
>else could email me some kind of diagram I'd really appreciate it.

I'll get back to you when I have more time.

>I'm also curious about the "torque boxes" at the 4 corners of the main
>perimeter frame.  we were told by Terry that they were engineered for a
>certain amount or type of flex, and that this is important.  Can that
>really be true?  Why wouldn't I want that chassis as stiff as I can get it?

Beats me. Sprint cars , dragsters, go-carts, motorcycles can be too stiff,
but road racers? The only guess I can make is that because the chassis is
very weak, these boxes are designed to damp some of the suspension induced
harmonics.

>Any advice, info, insight, flames, or encouragement would be very much
>appreciated.

If you're really serious about a street racer, it would probably be cheaper
and less headache to buy a used Trans-Am racer and adapt a Bricklin body to
it. :^))
A buddy of mine bought an old short track Winston Cup Thunderbird less motor
for next to nothing and dropped in a 500 in3 to play with.

GM