RE: '75 Fix Ups

To: Ron Auger <ron.auger@olsy-na.com>, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: '75 Fix Ups
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:44:13 -0500
At 06:04 PM 3/20/98 -0500, Ron Auger wrote:
>I've sealed and insulated the firewall pretty good. But I get the same
>draft as Greg mentions around the forward-bottom part of the door. I
>think it's typical. I've toyed with the idea of using grease paint or
>chalk or something to put on the weather-stripping to see how well
>contact is made around the door frame when the door is closed. See if
>there is any gaps or limited contact areas. Haven't done it yet.

Ron, et al.

   I seem to remember for someplace that to check seals (ie. the door
closing against it's seal) simply place a dollar bill in between the
seal and the door and close the door.  If the dollar bill can be moved
you will have an air & noise leak.  If not, the door is contacting the
seal correctly.

  I might suggest trying this.  I suspect that the doors aren't sealing
against the seals.  The obvious question then becomes are the original
seals or have you replaced them?  If they are original, they may be
kind of hard and not flexing enough.  You could replace them.

  Or regardless if they are new or old, try getting some scrap rubber,
(I found that most hardware stores sell up to 1/8" rubber gasket material
1' wide by the foot).  You can either piggy back it over the existing
seal or put it on the door (which ever you think will be less obvious)
with some 3M spray trim adheasive.  See if that works.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V