RE: Pop Rivet Removal

To: "'bricklin@autox.team.net'" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pop Rivet Removal
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:21:48 -0400
I drilled mine out with a standard metal drill.  The first problem you may
have it that the whole rivet may want to spin when you try and drill it out.
You should be able to address this by carefully inserting a flat screwdriver
between the plastic panel and the frame of the car and gently prying to
create just enough friction that the rivet stops spinning.  Drill only deep
enough to allow the rivet's flange to fall off.

The second problem you may have is the plastic is brittle and may crack or
break around the rivet holes.  I used new aluminum rivets with large flanges
to distribute the pressure over more of the panel surface and prevent more
cracking.

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
MBNA America